default 2017-11-09T22:19:32+00:00


If 30 days have passed since the Respondent has been properly served with the petition and summons without a response, then the Petitioner may file a request to enter their default.

Asking for a default is a request for the Court to allow the Petitioner to proceed without the other person, kind of like at a sports game where the other team doesn’t show up. You win by forfeit. However, in family court just because the default is taken, that doesn’t mean you get whatever you want. You have not “won,” but you are allowed to proceed to complete the divorce process.

Completing your case via default is a two-part process. First, you must get the default entered after the other party failed to respond within the 30 days from being served. Second, you must file a request to have a default judgment entered by the Court. This is referred to as a default “prove up” hearing. The Court will review the judgment to make sure that it is equitable and fair. For example, if community property is not divided equally then the Court will strike down those provisions unless you have s specific reason per the Family Code as to why the debts are not divided equally. Once the Court is satisfied with the filing it will enter the judgment.

The other party can ask that the default is set aside. However, they must file their request within the statutory time frame. Depending on the reason to set aside, that time frame can range from six (6) months (Please see CCP 473(b)) to two (2) years (Please see Family Code Section 2120 – 2122 )

Please note that even if the other person’s default is taken and/or the default judgment is entered, they can still, seek relief, file responses to and appear at pre-judgment hearings including child custody, visitation, child support, and spousal support.

Talk to a Family Law Attorney Today at Wishart Law! 

Speak to a Family Law Attorney!






We work as a single united team with market leading firms around the world and give our clients the highest quality advice possible.