Request For Order 2017-10-23T20:26:49+00:00

Request for Order

If you are filing for relief or assistance from the Court prior to the time of trial or after a judgment, you are filing a “Request For Order” a.k.a. ” RFO” in which you are requesting the Court to make orders regarding a specific issue.

Routine requests for orders include issues on child custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, attorney’s fees or “other.” The “other ” can be a request for minors’ counsel, Child Custody Investigator, Child Custody Evaluator (730), or other relief that is not included in one of the pre-designated categories. Generally speaking, the Court does NOT make orders regarding division of property at a pretrial hearing.

If custody and visitation are at issue, then the parties will have to go to child custody mediation prior to the hearing date. If you are seeking to modify a judgment in your request for an order, you will need to show a “substantial change in circumstances.” In other words, you will need to show there has been a significant change in the lives or circumstances of the parties since the time the judgment was first granted by the Court.

Beware Informal Agreements:

If you and the other parent reach an informal agreement regarding child support, as a general matter do expect for the court to enforce it unless you make that agreement part of a formally filed stipulation. Consequently, if you have no prior orders there is no way to enforce the agreement or if you do have prior order then those prior ordered will probably be enforceable regardless of your informal agreement.

Talk to a Family Law Attorney Today at Wishart Law! 

Speak to a Family Law Attorney!


We work as a single united team with market leading firms around the world and give our clients the highest quality advice possible.